Re: gnokii & irda problems

From: Aart Koelewijn
Subject: Re: gnokii & irda problems
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:26:13 +0100

Op vr, 06-01-2006 te 11:36 +0000, schreef vittorio:
> I forgot to pinpoint that while at the very beginning of the story I wanted
> mainly use the 6610i with FreeBSD 6  as an AT-Hayes modem to send and receive
> faxes only via hylafax, NOW, after having known the features of gnokii I
> would like to use extensively this package to send/receive SMS mainly.
>
> Ciao
> Vittorio

Hello Vittorio,

I use a Nokia 6610i for a GPRS connection with internet to be able to
receive and send email with my laptop. I use Linux (Debian). For the
GPRS connection the command I use is "/usr/sbin/pppd call vodafone" and
the most important part in the file /etc/ppp/peers/vodafone is:

modem crtscts defaultroute
/dev/ircomm
115200
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v TIMEOUT 90 ABORT BUSY ABORT ERROR ABORT "NO
CARRIER" AT OK-AT-OK ATZ OK ATD*99***1# CONNECT'
connect-delay 10
mtu 1500
mru 1500

So it is just like using a normal modem, you don't need gnokiid. That is
somewhere in the docs but you will have to search for it. I never tried
to send a fax, so know nothing about it.

There is some risc in using Gnokii with a 6610i with irda. I broke my
phone within a few days and had to sent it to a Nokia service center to
re-install the firmware. Since then I'm very carefull but I do use smsd
to archive my sms'ses. As far as I know you can savely use gnokii with
"model = AT" in gnokiirc, but the functionality is less then. With
"model = 6610i" you run more risks.

Aart