Re: FC3, Nokia 6230i, DKU-2 USB

From: Peter Robinson
Subject: Re: FC3, Nokia 6230i, DKU-2 USB
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:56:27 +0100

> > > headers
> > > and
> > > patches/kernel_2.6
> > >
> > > Chris, do we want to distribute this header?
> >
> > I don't think so.  It's probably not in the kernel _headers_ but it is in
> > the kernel _sources_.  I'm not sure people can expect to compile kernel
> > modules without the sources no?
>
> Yes, I think you are right.

You shouldn't necessarily need the full source to compile out of
kernel drivers but then Fedora doesn't ship all the headers for the
2.6 kernel. This has been a problem with things like video4linux 2 and
others, it should probably be files in their bugzilla. Its certainly
not  fixed in the FC4/rawhide version I'm running. As for the cdc-acm
driver, its basically the generic modem/ta driver for the usb
standard. So if someone wanted to use the phone just as a modem to
connect to the net it would be enough. The question would be whether
this driver is taking all the end points for the usb device and
whether the phone had a number of interfaces, one the acm interface
and then possibly another one for the storage and then a propietry
fbus one, or whether it just reports it all as one. I'm getting a
6230i next week as my 6230 was stolen, but I won't have a usb cable to
test this, but rather will use my bluetooth v2 usb dongle.

Cheers,
Pete