Re: QT GUI for gnokii and more

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: QT GUI for gnokii and more
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 00:07:52 +0200

Hi Pavel,

On 6/6/05, Pavel Machek <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > is there some new documentation concerning libgnokii API or is
> > > still necessary to work through all documentation of gnokii?
> >
> > I'm afraid no new documentation was created recently. But see below.
>
> Actually I believe that libgnokii is readable enough...

Yes, but there are some quirks how to do the initialization and such.
Writing a new app gives me some clues that not everything is clear ;-)

> > > To be honest I am considering wheather to use libgnokii or
> > > support only AT compatible phones.
> > > If you have any suggestions and/or advices about making GUI for
> > > libgnokii please let me know.
> >
> > I would advice to make it two layer -- a daemon that communicates with
> > the phone and the GUI itself. They should communicate with each other
> > using some well known protocol (DBUS?). That will allow also other
> > applications (like Kontact, that would need patching in such case) to
> > communicate with the phone at the same time.
>
> Definitely good idea, and really needed. More than one application
> needs to access the phone...

Yes, that's something I was thinking about for already some time.

> Question is what should be interface between the daemon and rest of
> the world... AT interface is common but really ugly. Custom
> command-line? Some RPC uglyness?

I definitely don't want AT interface. And I'm thinking about something
RPC-based. I'm trying out DCOP (which is rather kde only) and DBUS. I
like both in fact. And I think it may be a daemon with multiple
communication plugins, so it may be fairly easy to extend it with the
new plugin.

And both dbus and dcop seem to have also a command line interface. And
it looks cool to me.

Any other suggestions for the interface?

I already have the gnokii related core, now sitting on the dcop side
trying to prepare something that would receive and send messages. Hope
to send sms soon ;-)

http://www.gnokii.org/