Re: QT GUI for gnokii and more

From: Pavel Machek
Subject: Re: QT GUI for gnokii and more
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 23:34:49 +0200

Hi!

> > is there some new documentation concerning libgnokii API or is
> > still necessary to work through all documentation of gnokii?
>
> I'm afraid no new documentation was created recently. But see below.

Actually I believe that libgnokii is readable enough...

> > To be honest I am considering wheather to use libgnokii or
> > support only AT compatible phones.
> > If you have any suggestions and/or advices about making GUI for
> > libgnokii please let me know.
>
> I would advice to make it two layer -- a daemon that communicates with
> the phone and the GUI itself. They should communicate with each other
> using some well known protocol (DBUS?). That will allow also other
> applications (like Kontact, that would need patching in such case) to
> communicate with the phone at the same time.

Definitely good idea, and really needed. More than one application
needs to access the phone...

Question is what should be interface between the daemon and rest of
the world... AT interface is common but really ugly. Custom
command-line? Some RPC uglyness?

> > I am about to develop application using QT for use with cell phones
> > and GSM modems (sms, calls, calendar, etc.) I know there is a lot of
> > duplicity (Xgnokii and more GUI applications exist), but I will
> > implement some new features (mainly ToDo list based on time and
> > location - determined by phone, initiation of data calls with
> > monitoring). Intended platform is handheld Sharp Zaurus and of
> > course linux PCs and I plan to use KDE's Kontact for managing
> > contacts and more hence the choice of QT.
>
> I'm willing to help you. Mainly in two areas (beacause my GUI skills
> sucks). Help/implement the daemon that communicates with the phone.
> Write the developer documentation -- just tell me with which
> functionality you would like to start. I will prepare some general
> documentation, but then I'd like to documentate the interface to the
> functional areas.

Thanks.
                                                                Pavel