Re: More than 2 modems/phones with Gnokii and SMSD.

From: Jan Derfinak
Subject: Re: More than 2 modems/phones with Gnokii and SMSD.
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 10:07:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Pawel Kot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 5/2/05, Evgeny Stukalov <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I'm trying to evaluate Gnokii for a service which would entail it
> > communicating with several modems/phones using the SMSD.  Can Gnokii work
> > with more than two modems/phones on the same machine at least in theory?
> > Did anyone have any success with something like this?  If so, any pointers
> > on the hardware setup?  Multiple serial ports with some sort of a digiboard,
> > or maybe a USB hub?
>
> It is possible. From gnokii side you just need to define $HOME for
> each smsd instance. As for the hardware you just need the separate
> ports for each phone. Can be usb hub, can be irda, bluetooth or
> whatever.

I don't know if something changed, but in time when I implemented multiphone
feature in smsd, there was no need to redefine HOME variable. Smsd has
native support for this. From README:
-t, --phone phone_number
        You can run more instances of smsd. One instance per phone. In this
        setup you must configure phone section in gnokiirc. For example:

        [global]
        port = /dev/ttyS0
        model = 6110
        initlength = default
        connection = serial
        bindir = /usr/local/sbin/
        use_locking = no
        serial_baudrate = 38400
        smsc_timeout = 10

        [phone_1]
        port = /dev/ttyS0
        model = 6110
        initlength = default
        connection = serial
        bindir = /usr/local/sbin/
        use_locking = no
        serial_baudrate = 38400

        [phone_2]
        port = /dev/ttyS1
        model = AT
        initlength = default
        connection = serial
        bindir = /usr/local/sbin/
        use_locking = no
        serial_baudrate = 38400
        smsc_timeout = 10

        In this setup if you run smsd without -t option it will use config
        from global section. If you run smsd with -t 1 it will use config
        from phone_1 and likewise with -t 2 uses phone_2. In case of use -t
        option smsd fill phone number for incoming sms's and in outbox it
        looks only for sms's with the specified phone number in column
        'phone'. This behaviour give you possibility to run one instance
        of smsd for every phone you have at the same time.

jan