Sharp Zaurus <-> 8290

From: James Bearden
Subject: Sharp Zaurus <-> 8290
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:45:42 -0600

Hello,

I am trying to use my Nokia 8290 as a modem for my Sharp Zaurus slc-750.
I have compiled and installed the complete package including xgnokii and
gnokiid. xgnokii and gnokii work flawlessly, but I am having no luck
using the 8290 to dial in and create a ppp connection. If I use
/dev/ircomm0 directly without using gnokiid then the phone dials in,
connects, logs in, and then pppd exits immediately after announcing that
it has made the connection with a "modem hangup" message. If I use
/dev/gnokii then the phone dials in, connects, I get CARRIER but I never
CONNECT. I have been fiddling with the ppp parameters for hours and
nothing seems to make a difference.

The most frustrating thing is that it took me about 5 minutes to connect
using my windows laptop. :-(

James