gnokii --displayoutput not working with my Nokia 3310

From: Monty
Subject: gnokii --displayoutput not working with my Nokia 3310
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:48:42 +0000 (GMT)

Hello All,

I am resending the following message as I don't think I was quite subscribed to
the list properly yesterday when I originally sent it.

Recently I downloaded and compiled Gnokii V0.60 for use with my Nokia 3310
mobile phone.  When attempting to compile the cvs version I receive the
following two errors when executing the quick-start instructions in the INSTALL
file:

# gettextize
sed: can't read aclocal.m4: No such file or directory
You should update your own clocal.m4' by adding the necessary
macro packages gettext.m4, lcmessage.m4 and progtest.m4 from
the directory /aclocal'

# aclocal
aclocal: configure.in: 31: macro M_ICONV' not found in library

The older gnokii-0.6.0 tar-ball seams to compile just fine...

Unfortunately when I run the

$gnokii --displayoutput

command I get nothing, followed by several seconds of delay, followed by a
"ERROR:  time-out" message.  I'm guessing that this is either a problem with my
Nokia 3310 not fully being supported by this command, or the proper
text/display libraries aren't compiled in to my gnokii utilities.

I used the following arguments with the configure command while compiling:

$./configure --with-bluetooth=/usr/lib --without-x

I added the bluetooth option because I also have a Nokia 6600 phone which
I will someday be interested in getting to work with gnokii.

I took out the X/GTK stuff as I am only running gnokii in the basic
text-console and graphics aren't much use to me as I am blind.

If anyone has any ideas about my problem, I would really appreciate
hearing them!

Thanks in advance,
  Monty