"gnokii --sendsms" bogus usage error? (0.4.3, 6310)

From: Lubos Kaspar
Subject: "gnokii --sendsms" bogus usage error? (0.4.3, 6310)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:23:55 +0200 (METDST)

Dear gnokii experts,

I hope you will be able to help me with solving some troubles
using gnokii, namely while sending SMSes.

1. Phone, cable, system and program version/configuration:

- phone: Nokia 6310
- cable: DLR-3P

- OS:

# uname -a; cat /etc/redhat-release
Linux sms 2.4.20-8 #1 Thu Mar 13 17:54:28 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)

- gnokii version (as I do not have much experience with compiling source, it
  is downloaded as binary from
  ftp://ftp.gnokii.org/pub/gnokii/binaries/RedHat/gnokii-0.4.3-1.i386.rpm
  and simply installed):

# gnokii --version
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
Copyright (C) Hugh Blemings <address@hidden>, 1999, 2000
Copyright (C) Pavel Janík ml. <address@hidden>, 1999, 2000
Copyright (C) Pavel Machek <address@hidden>, 2001
Copyright (C) Paweł Kot <address@hidden>, 2001-2002
Copyright (C) BORBELY Zoltan <address@hidden>, 2002
gnokii is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
There is absolutely no warranty for gnokii.  See GPL for details.
Built 20:44:11 Sep  6 2002 for 6310 on /dev/ttyS0

- gnokii rc-file (except comment and empty lines):

# grep -v -e '^#' -e '^$' .gnokiirc
[global]
port = /dev/ttyS0
model = 6310
initlength = default
connection = serial
bindir = /usr/sbin/
use_locking = yes
serial_baudrate = 19200
[connect_script]
[disconnect_script]
[sms]
timeout = 10

2. successful actions (only some functions tested):

- identification (IMEI hidden):

# gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
IMEI         : 3508***********
Manufacturer : Nokia
Model        : NPE-4
Revision     : V 05.01

- monitoring (truncated to one step):

# gnokii --monitor|head -14
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
Entering monitor mode...
RFLevel: 100
Battery: 42
SIM: Used 10, Free 240
Phone: Used 0, Free 500
DC: Used 0, Free 256
EN: Used 0, Free 12544
FD: Used 0, Free 12544
MC: Used 0, Free 512
ON: Used 0, Free 10
RC: Used 0, Free 768
SMS Messages: Unread 0, Number 21
Network: Paegas (Czech Republic), LAC: 5514, CellID: 003b

- get alarm state, date & time, reset:

# gnokii --getalarm
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
Alarm: off
Time: 08:30

# gnokii --getdatetime
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
Date: 2003/09/22
Time: 08:52:30

# gnokii --reset
GNOKII Version 0.4.3

3. unsuccessful actions:

- get SMS center call number
  (inside the phone "+420603052000" is configured and it works):

# gnokii --getsmsc
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
Memory fault

- send SMS using explicit SMS center call number (destination hidden): a usage
  error indicated but I think it is OK (trying all number formats;
  I also tried "connection = dlr3p" in ~/.gnokiirc but with the same result as
  below; sending SMSes directly from the phone works properly):

# echo test|gnokii --sendsms 736****** --smsc 603052000
Lockfile /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0 is stale. Overriding it..
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
 usage: gnokii --sendsms destination
               [--smsc message_center_number | --smscno message_center_index]
               [-r] [-C n] [-v n] [--long n] [--animation file;file;file;file]
               [--concat this;total;serial]
 Give the text of the message to the standard input.
   destination - phone number where to send SMS
   --smsc      - phone number of the SMSC
   --smscno    - index of the SMSC set stored in the phone
   -r          - require delivery report
   -C n        - message Class; values [0, 3]
   -v n        - set validity period to n minutes
   --long n    - read n bytes from the input; default is 160
# echo test|gnokii --sendsms 00420736****** --smsc 00420603052000 2>&1|head -5
# echo test|gnokii --sendsms +420736****** --smsc +420603052000 2>&1|head -5
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
 usage: gnokii --sendsms destination
               [--smsc message_center_number | --smscno message_center_index]
               [-r] [-C n] [-v n] [--long n] [--animation file;file;file;file]
               [--concat this;total;serial]

- send SMS without explicit SMS center call number (destination hidden):
  a memory fault occurred (trying all number formats; I also tried
  "connection = dlr3p" in ~/.gnokiirc but with the same result as below;
  sending SMSes directly from the phone works properly):

# echo test|gnokii --sendsms 736******
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
Memory fault
# echo test|gnokii --sendsms 00420736******
Lockfile /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0 is stale. Overriding it..
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
Memory fault
# echo test|gnokii --sendsms +420736******
Lockfile /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0 is stale. Overriding it..
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
Memory fault

Has anybody got a similar experience and even has solved it, please?
My very urgent need is only to be able to send SMSes very soon, other
faults are not important for me this time.

Unfortunately I did not find a solution in the list archive (searching for
"sendsms" and getting 220 related messages but none of them was helpful).
In case of a trivial mistake please accept my apologies.

Thank you very much for any helping remarks.

Regards,
--
Lubos Kaspar