Phones getting killed when using smsd

From: Johannes Lehtinen
Subject: Phones getting killed when using smsd
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 09:43:24 +0300

Hello!

We have been trying to use smsd (0.5.0, Debian package gnokii-smsd) in a
server environment to replace the previously used proprietary software.

Initially everything worked perfectly. After about a week of use the
phone, Nokia 7110 (connected by DLR-3P), hang and stopped working at
all. It would not turn on again (tried to remove and replace the battery
and charge it with power off). The same phone had worked perfectly for
two years in similar use with the proprietary software.

Well, phones do break so we tried another 7110 with the same cable. It
worked just a couple of days and hanged. After hang it was continuously
booting itself and could not be used for anything.

At this point we started suspecting that maybe something was wrong with
the serial port of the server (or the cable) so that it would kill a
phone. Anyway, that second 7110 could have been just very bad luck (one
in a million) so we went on to try Nokia 6210 with the same DLR-3P cable
to see what would happen. Again, the phone worked for a week and then
the smsd hang. I restarted the smsd and the link started working again.
The next day the phone was totally dead.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is it possible that the
software could somehow damage the phone or overload it? Or should we
assume that server hardware or cable is somehow faulty?

The error message after each hang was very similar. Here is the latest:

UNHANDLED FRAME RECEIVED
request: 0x14 / 0x0007
00 01 00 6b 08 0f 01                            |    k
reply: 0x14 / 0x0004
01 25 00 ca                                     |  %
Please read Docs/Bugs and send a bug report!

--
Johannes Lehtinen <address@hidden>, http://www.iki.fi/jle/