Problems sending SMSes with 6210 (connected to USBserial)

From: Maeder Kurt
Subject: Problems sending SMSes with 6210 (connected to USBserial)
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:07:22 +0100

Hello everybody
Some weeks ago, I sent some problem reports, concerning sending
SMSes with the Nokia 6210 over a USB-serial cable
(MobileAction MA-8610C) on my linux-box (SuSE 8.1).

In the meantime I found the problem and I like
to share the solution with the gnokii-community...

After trying almost everything with this configuration,
including the support of Pawel and Bozo (thanks again),
I  had to surrender with this.

In the meantime I found the solution somewhere else:
The problem was not at all at gnokii's side, it was the
USB-serial-interface.

Several USB-serial interfaces are built on the PL-2303
chip manufactured by Prolific.
The drivers included with Linux (at least on SuSE 8.1)
are outdated and don't really work.

You can get newer drivers for Linux, MacOS and windows
from http://tech.prolific.com.tw .

After installing these drivers (pl2303.o, usbserial.o) gnokii
works much, much better.

There is still a problem with ACKs, resulting in
retries, but at least it is working now.

Maybe this posting can help other USB-serial users to
solve the problems with gnokii or other applications.

Have a nice day
Kurt