Re: sending AT from shell?

From: Osma Suominen
Subject: Re: sending AT from shell?
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:06:05 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Tobie Keridge wrote:

> I'm attempting to just send commands to the tty device (keyspan usb to
> serial) from a shell:
>
> echo 'ATI1=?<rCR>'  >  /dev/tty.USAetc
>
> And expecting responses to stdout, but I'm a getting nothin! Am I
> overlooking something, or just plain wrong?

I think "plain wrong" is the better answer :)

You are indeed sending to the tty device by shell redirection, but you
are not reading from the tty anywhere. If you really want to do this in
a shell, you could probably set up reading e.g. in another terminal
window or virtual console:

cat </dev/tty.XXX

but I'm not sure if this will work, depends on locking etc.
(You could also set up this in the background with & etc.)

A better idea is to use a terminal emulator such as minicom to talk to
your phone/modem.

-Osma

--
*** Osma Suominen *** address@hidden *** http://www.iki.fi/ozone/ ***