Re: 3110 SMS rework (big patch)

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: 3110 SMS rework (big patch)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:53:52 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Osma Suominen wrote:

> My recent statmachine stuff has not yet gone into CVS but I'm still
> continuing with my 3110 work assuming it gets accepted in one way or
> another. (putting the new functions in gsm-statemachine.c and/or
> renaming them is fine with me)

Well, I decided that I'll put this in the statemachine code. I'm trying
now to make the change that will cause not too few harm (ie. it doesn't
change too many client code.

> I've fixed the issue of SMS data encoding by doing encoding/decoding
> back and forth using the existing functions in gsm-encoding.c. The
> problem (for those unfamiliar with the issue) is that newer phones want
> their data in 7bit packed format whereas the 3110 expects plain ASCII
> (ISO Latin-1 actually I think, I haven't investigated thoroughly, but I
> should do it sometime). Since the internal format of gnokii is the 7bit
> packed format (in the raw_sms data structure) there is a problem. So

You can't say 7bit is gnokii internal format. 7bit it the default format
for PDU messages. Anyway I'm on my way to implement TEXT mode for SMS. And
I think it is relevant for nk3110 driver.