Re: Tekram IR-210B

From: Jean Tourrilhes
Subject: Re: Tekram IR-210B
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:51:19 -0700

BORBELY Zoltan wrote :
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 11:37:24AM +0200, Gaute Amundsen wrote:
> > Could somebody please tell me why the Tekram dongle is not working,
> > or alternately give me some hint as to what I could do to fix this.
>
> There was some preliminary tekram support which hasn't working for ages. I
> tried to fix it, if you are interested in please retest the current cvs.
> Don't forget to set the connection to tekram.
>
> Bye,
> Bozo

        (Please cc me, I'm not on the list)

        Well, direct Nokia support over Ir has always been a problem
(I'm not talking of IrDA compliant phones), because you can't use the
Linux-IrDA stack.
        For serial dongles, it is only a minor annoyance (you could
always cut'n'paste dongle driver code into GNokii). But for USB
dongles, the current GNokii solution will never work. Note also that
new laptops are released with FIR chipset that don't offer serial
emulation be default, and for those guys the current GNokii solution
will never work as well. These IrDA hardware don't offer access at the
PHY level needed by GNooki.
        Somebody told me that there was a way around this by running
the Nokia protocol over the IrDA stack, but this was never verified,
so it may be urban legend. Actually, I don't know how they manage to
do things under Win32.

        Now, if you guys are interested in OBEX compliant phones
(another breed), there is already a bunch of packages that support
them (ex ObexFTP and Multisysnc).

        Have fun...

        Jean