Re: Another 6210 Bug? Or I am Just Stupid ??

From: Markus Plail
Subject: Re: Another 6210 Bug? Or I am Just Stupid ??
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 12:15:08 +0200

Hi Jan!

* Jan Derfinak writes:
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Markus Plail wrote:
>> > This is absolutly wrong. Smsd uses gnokii's API and it is independend
>> > from phone. If something works with older phone and don't with newer
>> > phone there is problem in API.
>>
>> The problem is that with newer phones there are different memory
>> types, that's the reason why it does not work. smsd code is mainly
>> ripped from xgnokii, so there must be similiar changes in in order to
>> make it work.  The whole getting SMS routines have to be changed. In
>> xgnokii I made them totally separate, as they are very different. Up
>> to now you just read locations in SM until you get
>> GE_INVALIDLOCATION. This only works with older phones. For newer
>> phones you have to think about which messages to get. You have to get
>> the folder status (6510) plus SMS status for (6210) as it doesn't
>> recognize unread SMS otherwise.

> But this is wrong. On client level is for me unimportant which phone
> is connected to smsd. Lowlevel function must detect phone and
> configure all depend stuff. We need uniform access to all phones to
> access common capabilites. And special arguments to access special
> capabilities for every phone.

Todays findings (thanx to mygnokii) make things much easier for smsd. I
will make a patch and send it to the list this afternoon.
Now for your common capabilities:
What are common capabilities?
   6110 series is totally different from the newer series when it comes
   to SMS reading. There is almost no common part in that. xgnokii used
   to just read all messages as soon as something changed in
   SMSStatus. This is perhaps fine for 10 - 30 messages you can save on
   a SIM card, but is far from usable when you can save up to 200. This
   has nothing to do with the API.
   Speaking about smsd. You just want to do two totally different
   things, comparing 6110 and newer phones.
   For 6110 you want to read ALL messages from SIM -> GMT_SM and
   SMSStatus.
   For newer phones you only want to read INBOX messages -> GMT_IN and
   SMSFolder->Number.
   This has nothing to do with the API being bad, but it's just two
   totally different tasks.

> And other thing. All function names exported from gnokii's API must be
> prefixed to avoid collision with other application. For example in smsd was
> from begining function with name SendSMS. One day somebody decided to add
> function with the same name to gnokii's API. And this introduced collision
> in smsd.
> When I was developing xgnokii all exported function was prefixed with GUI_
> and the rest of functions was hidden.
> Gtk uses prefix gtk_.
> Glib used g_. Motif, Athena and other all use prefix.

This is something we should consider doing.

>> Sorry, for that then. Perhaps I misunderstood Pawel ion IRC. IIRC he
>> said that it is mostly unmaintained, but I may as well be wrong.
> Maybe Pawel forgot that reason why I cannot test smsd was that sms support
> don't work in gnokii for long time. And when Pawel say that sms work and I
> begin to adapt smsd I discover that sms still don't work.

I can't say anything about that.

regards
Markus