Re: Euro symbols show up as Currency symbols [resolved]

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Euro symbols show up as Currency symbols [resolved]
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:45:25 +0200

>>> address@hidden 25 July 2002 10:29:46 >>>
> On Thursday, July 25, 2002, at 02:15 AM, Pawel Kot wrote:
> > OK. Should be done at the moment in CVS. Just issue:
> > echo "some text containing euro (\x0a4) character" | gnokii --sendsms
> > 123456
>
> Woohoo! Thanks! It works beautifully now.

Cool.

> > Could you please be more specific? Or even send here the dumps of the
> > sms seinding tries? In fact you don't need to set your terminal to
> > UTF-8.
> > You can simply use the characters that don't exist in the gsm default
> > alphabet. Such example are Polish characters (latin2, iso-8859-2).
>
> I think I understand the problem now. Setting the terminal to UTF-8 was
> a *bad* idea, because that made all non-US characters appear as two
> bytes. Both bytes in these Unicode characters were probably something
> that didn't fall into the Latin1 set either, so ended up as "??" in the
> message.

Exactly.

> Oh yes, these rules indeed imply that all input is completely one-byte
> characters. Full Unicode support would be sweet, but I'd say don't sweat
> it. Not many Linux/Unix distros have Unicode support on such levels that
> one could even comfortably work with Unicode, yet alone input it on the
> console.

Well, the glibc support is enough. We can accept either one-byte input or wide
characters (hopefully also 3-bytes-wide charcters -- there was also such patch
here, but AFAIR it was not applied, as it broke 2-bytes-wide characters; need to
browse my patch archive). All that would be required would be glibc2 (that
already has the iconv builtin) or the standalone iconv library (libc5 definitely
needs it, dunno about other unices then Linux and Windows).