Euro symbols show up as Currency symbols

From: Sami Rosenblad
Subject: Euro symbols show up as Currency symbols
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 11:32:21 +0300

Hello all,

I've been trying to solve this "little" dilemma for several weeks now and have subsequently updated from gnokii 0.3.5 to 0.4.2. The Euro symbol still doesn't work.

I'm running Debian 3.0 "Woody" and have set my system environment to use the address@hidden locale and ISO-8859-15 character set. Still, gnokii doesn't take heed and apparently thinks the charset is ISO-8859-1, rendering the character code 164 (hex A4, oct 244) as the currency symbol.

Looking at "The 7 bit default alphabet" at <http://www.dreamfabric.com/sms/default_alphabet.html> I noticed that the Euro symbol is sent as a two character escape sequence. However, other escape sequences like [ ] { } \ | work just fine.

Consequently, gnokii thinks the character set is ISO-8859-1, not ISO-8859-15. How can I force this?

--
Sami Rosenblad -- address@hidden -- "Awk," Grep sed.