gsm -> isdn with V110 protocol

From: Aart Koelewijn
Subject: gsm -> isdn with V110 protocol
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 22:12:07 +0200 (CEST)

Hello

now I have got a little bit more experience using the V110 protocol I will
describe my setup somewhat more extensive.

Situation: with my laptop using a Nokia 6110 phone over a infrared link I
want to call my computer at home which is connected to an ISDN-line. Using
the V110 protocol I can connect much quicker and don't need an analog
modem at home. Both computers run Linux.

Setup where it differs from the standard setup:

Laptop
/etc/ppp/peers/home:

/dev/gnokii 115200
modem crtscts defaultroute
connect '/usr/bin/chat -v TIMEOUT 90 ABORT BUSY ABORT ERROR ABORT "NO
CARRIER" "" AT OK-AT-OK ATZ OK ATS35=0 OK ATD[MSN-NUMBER] CONNECT'
name [login name] # probably not necessary
noauth
connect-delay 5
# the above seems critical. The standard delay is 100. With that only half
# of the tries got a connection. With 5 the results are much better,
# but still not 100 %
mtu 296
lcp-max-configure 20
idle 30
debug

The computer at home:
/etc/inittab:

# a lot
# mgetty on ISDN line
I8:35:respawn:/usr/sbin/mgetty ttyI8
# some more

/etc/mgetty+sendfax/mgetty.config

# the usual things
#
# that mgetty on the ISDN line
port ttyI8
rings 1
data-only y
init-chat "" ATZ OK AT&E[MSN-NUMBER] OK AT&R9600S19=197 OK
# something else

/etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config

# something
/AutoPPP/ -     a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth
# something more

The file /etc/ppp/chap-secrets on the laptop and the computer at home is
used for authorisation, so you must make certain you got the right
"secrets"

The connection is initiated with 'pppd call home' off course.

OK, I think that's all. I have got about a week off experience with this
setup and it seems to work nice. Would like to know if it works for others
too. May work with other phones, I don't know which ones support the V110
protocol.

Bye

Aart