Re: sms timeouts

From: Leos Tovarek, Ph.D.
Subject: Re: sms timeouts
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 22:03:48 +0300

> > Let me tell the story again. When you send SMS it is pushed to SMSC.
> > Probably you noticed that the phone wait some time and blinks on the
> > screen with "SMS sent" or "SMS failed". This is the result of the SMSC
> > response. SMSC is some box that processes the incoming messages and
> > forwards them somewhere (or discards). You can imagine that when SMSC is
> > overloaded (or how they say these days DoSed ;-)) it will take more time
> > to process all messages. It means also that it may take more time to
> > receive the response from SMSC. Note that "SMS sent" means only that SMSC
> > confirms that it received given SMS message.
> >
> > Gnokii now waits given timeout for the response. In some cases it is not
> > enough time for SMSC. Then we got "timeout" error. The alternative (used
> > by Marcin) is to wait forever unless the user cancels it. Looks good, but
> > has few disadvantages. It is completly useless for applications like
> > smsd. It requires giving control to the application for the issue that
> > should be handled by the lower level. It blocks the application (it needs
> > to check the responses from the phone regularly).
> >
> > Any opinions on this?
>
> I do not think waiting forever is good idea. Waiting 2 minutes than
> giving up might be the right thing to do.
> Pavel

Hi,

I believe that for a user (person or program) a control over sendsms' timeout
is desirable as the response time depends both on an operator's properties
and an actual technical state (load, failures).

a) With finite timeout:
    It would be nice to have the timeout interval or as a parameter of
    sendsms or as a configuration parameter. If so, everybody could tune
    it by his actual conditions (etc.).

b) With infinite timeout:
    A person can break it himself, a program can call it with time alarm
    that breaks waiting when needed.

:))

Leos.