Slightly OT: Nokia displays (Was: Re: can't connect to 6160)

From: Jon Wikne
Subject: Slightly OT: Nokia displays (Was: Re: can't connect to 6160)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:16:54 +0200 (MET DST)

Kevin White <address@hidden> wrote:

> I know this is sorta off topic, but if your 6160 just doesn't display
> you can use a star bit driver (T6 I Think) and take the cover off quite
> easily.
>
> I dropped and abused by 6160 so much the display went blank and finally
> shattered.  I bought a new display for $26 USD from cellphoneshop.net.
> The display siply rests on the PCB, (as do most of the components).  It
> still went out randomly,

FWIW: Several Nokia phone models (among them 5110, 6110 and 6210) have
this common problem of the steel spring clip holding the display
against the PCB not pressing firmly enough after a while of use.
This causes intermittent contact problems, giving a fading or blank
display.

I have successfully repaired many of these phones by bending the
clip a bit with a pair of tweezers (examine the clip, you should
see what it takes) before reassembly. Also, you should clean the
contact row on both the display and the PCB side using a Q-tip
dipped in 96% ethanol (lab alcohol).

-- Jon