Re: off subject: strange 5110 hardware mod seen

From: Pavel Machek
Subject: Re: off subject: strange 5110 hardware mod seen
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 00:17:51 +0200

Hi!

> > > It could be a pre-pay to normal conversion or maybe an 'infinite credit'
> > > hack.
> >
> > What's pre-pay to normal conversion or 'infinite credit' hack?
>
> I meant the same as you, unlock the phone. Normally, you can't use a
> pre-paid phone with a 'normal' SIM, even with the same provider.
>
> About the 'unlimited credit', when pre-pay was first introduced
> in the UK, the credit was held in the SIM card and the phone did
> the adjustments. This has been fixed in the UK (credits are managed
> by the operator), but there may be some networks in the world which
> still use the old method.

Okay, I expected all these to be fixed by now. But with 'new' method,
processor instead of sim does not help, right?

> It is not completely impossible that a small processor could emulate
> a SIM card which magically reloads after a power cycle. The telephone
> cards of Deutsche Telecom have been cracked exactly this way.

> > Sure, you can unlock phone locked to specific provider (and similar
> > hack), but you should not be able to call for free, no matter how you
> > modify your handset (*).
> >
> > Pavel
> > (*) If you modify your GSM phone to transmit at 1000Wats, well, you
> > can make free calls to another similarily modified phone, because you
> > don't need BTS-es any more. But you'd notice shorter battery life ;-).
>
> :^), and crunchy brain...
>
> You're joking, but the DECT standard mentions something like that,
> where two GSM handsets can talk to each other directly over a range of
> ~300m. Outside that they use the network. You need about 3W to cover
> 20Km... - DECT is 250mW max.

Where can I get details about DECT? Are there any phones out there
supporting it?
                                                                        Pavel
--
(about SSSCA) "I don't say this lightly.  However, I really think that the U.S.
no longer is classifiable as a democracy, but rather as a plutocracy." --hpa