RE: [gnokii-users] Re: CVS update

From: Marcin Wiacek
Subject: RE: [gnokii-users] Re: CVS update
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:31:25 +0200

Hi,

> Plain simple: Lack of programmers who contribute to the project. Bozo
So, why don't want to extend list of developers?

> did quite some work on the 6110 code which is almost finished in quite

> a short time. I will fine tune the current 6210 code, try to make 6510

> workable and add the not yet implemented functionality to 6210 (mainly

> WAP)
For 61xx majority (I agree), many important (datacalls) still not work.
For 3xxx many things todo. Still long way. Also ringtones, bitmaps and
other things - long way.

> Yes, you obviously had some people writing code for yourgnokii, or
> wrote it yourself. Why should that make my arguments invalid?
Because there are available human resources. Just take them and want to
take them. That's why argument about lack of programmers is invalid.

> > How do you explain dropping my patch3?
> You don't write patches Pawel can accept.
Paweł, Paweł. I don't ask about Paweł now. Think your-self. What was
wrong ? If you haven't checked it, shouldn't answer about it.

> That's the work of a maintainer, especially when he know that
> there is a big chance that he won't like some of the changes.
> And after all the patch isn't dropped, but Bozo is working on
> it extracting the useful parts of it.
So, there is lack of programmers & additionaly some them have to spend
their time on extracting source, where 4 of 8 parts (in this example)
are accepted without ANY problems (for next 2 are proposed better
solutions - mine were correct, but not excellent; for 2 we will
discuss)...

First, second, third, fourth patch accepted. Why do not extend list of
developers ? When I will make something wrong, there is CVS and it's
possible to return to earlier version.

Ow, I forgot, Paweł doesn't like me. That's very important reason.

> What has sniffing to do with gnokii? Nothing. I never did it,
> and neither Pawel so I asked you for information on how to do
> it. I didn't use mygnokii at all so far.
He,he,he....So, where is moved all this stuff from ? ;-)))

> Well, it is quite obvious that Pawel and you don't agree on
> many questions and well.. that's just quite normal. Bozo and
> Pawel also didn't agree in soime points, they discussed it
> and came to a good solution.
Sure. But two people can discuss, when they know, what to discuss
about... See my next answer about gsm-sms.c. How can I discuss about it,
if Paweł doesn't use MSVC6 ?

> And I don't really think that
> moving stuff from gsm-sms.c to gsm-encoding is a matter of
> compatibility.
> To me it seems that you want to change gnokii
> to be almost like mygnokii and that you cover some changes
> stating that it is necessary for compatibility.
Well, I want to have mygnokii functionality. But I'm not fanatic and I
still try to find also better solutions than in mygnokii.

Not I, but some of you mixed "include" and that's why it's required to
be moved (in this moment I think, it could be made, that gsm-data.h uses
gsm-sms.h and gsm-sms.c uses gsm-data.h; but I can't check, because
everything in gsm-sms.c is mixed - all stuff: ringtones, bitmaps, etc.,
etc.).

But gnokii developers not believe into it, because they think, their
source is the best (like Paweł doesn't want to separate gsm-sms.c)...But
it's not. There should be someone, who use both (Linux, WIn32) OS,
inside team.

You don't want, I will not ask for it. Now I'm waiting (few days) for
answer from Hugh. If he will ignore, I will probably unsubscribe gnokii
list.

PS. Maybe it's this way: I'm "wrong" guy, who think only, how to destroy
excellent source ? ;-)))))))) and doesn't have anything better to do
than moving excellent source from one file to another ? ;-)))))) Does it
look this way ? Really ?

> You want to
> change many things and you want to change them at once. If
Hmmm, is writing next version of software over 2 years and still having
long way to end it good ? There is way to change it...

> you did more atomic steps and gave good reason why you want
> to change it, your patches would be accepted, believe me.
If developers list would be extended or something like that, you would
have 0.4.0 this year. If each easy patch will be applied over weeks,
not. Believe me.

Pozdrowienia/Best Regards
--
Marcin Wiacek (mailto:address@hidden,