Re: [gNewSense-users] the community and aging packages

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] the community and aging packages
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 23:57:57 +0100

The captcha and Editor page were introduced to combat the large amounts
of spam we've had in the past. Web server logs show that they're
effective and necessary, because there's still an excessive number of
spam attempts, but they're not getting through. Well, not completely
anyway: the spambot is not smart enough to get past the Editor page,
but it is smart enough to occasionally solve the captcha (70 new user
accounts out of 30000 attempts per day).

You're right that the answers to the captcha aren't readily available.
I've been hesitant to put them on the wiki because that would make it
easier for the spammer to find the answers. I've added them to the FAQ
[1] now. Hopefully it won't increase the spammer's success rate.

MoinMoin suggests using a username of the format FirstnameLastname (as 1
word), but you're free to choose any name you like.

The Support page is one of the core pages of the website and editing is
reserved for a select group (see #acl line at the top of the source). I
got the impression that the !GNewSense group is more of a community
thing than a support channel. May I suggest you add the group's
information to the Communities [3] page? I've already added a header
for non-local communities.

[1] http://www.gnewsense.org/FAQ
[2] http://www.gnewsense.org/Support?action=raw
[3] http://www.gnewsense.org/Communities

P.S.: if the wiki is slow at times, also blame the spammers
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?42280