Re: [gNewSense-users] Disappearing applications

From: Paul A. Crable
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Disappearing applications
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 04:17:51 -0000

Thank you for encouraging me to remember why I left Windows in the
first place.  Very good advice.  When things are in the tank with
GNU/Linux I think fondly of doing the same thing in Windows with a
command or two or a few clicks.  It is a delusion, of course.  Windows
becomes more invasive and dictatorial with each release, and they have
pressured hardware vendors to modify the unit's BIOS to support their
nefarious aims.

I recently bought a system unit from HP that had Windows 8 on it.  It was
impossible to use, and I wanted it off the machine.  However all the
tricks I used to use to remove an operating system were now blocked, some
in the BIOS.  So I had to pay a technician $85 to get rid of it.  It was
embarrassing.

Incidentally, when I first booted the system, I was presented with a set
of terms and conditions.  I had to agree to them before Win 8 would
load.  The conditions were onerous, requiring, among other things, that I be
connected to the Internet at all times I was using Win 8.  It is
extortion, plain and simple.

So I am well rid of them and your advice has brought me to my senses.

Paul
--
Paul A. Crable.  Portland, Ore.  U.S.A.
paul AT crable DOT us