Re: [gNewSense-users] Installing gNS on Yeelong using a USB modem for in

From: Marek Buras
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Installing gNS on Yeelong using a USB modem for internet connection.
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 13:46:25 +0200

Hello Somesh.

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 04:00:19PM +0530, someshwar M S wrote:
> Can I perform an installation using a wireless USB modem?
> Will the modem be detected? The current loonux distribution fails to detect
> / enumerate my USB modem(Kernel ver 2.6.27.1).
> Can I use utilities like wvdial, text editors like vi, gedit etc, to
> configure the settings (Phone number, Username, password) for the
> connection?
>
> This is the first time I am attempting to install using a netboot image.
> Need your help and suggestions.

I don't know if this modem is supported by the kernel - I'm affraid this is
one of those modems that require non-free firmware (correct me, if I'm wrong),
so it may not work - you have to try that for yourself I'm affraid. You can
just boot to the rescue mode and look at the output of dmesg and lsusb
commands (i'm not sure if they are available on the image, though).

As far as I remember netinst supports PPP dial-up and it probably can be used
this way (but there is no wvdial AFAIK). Unfortunatelly I can't help you nor
guide you through that process, because I haven't used dial-up lines for a
long time and besides few AT commands I don't remember too much ;-)

If you have a friend with wired connection that would be the best option for
you I think. I don't consider those USB modems stable enough to perform
network installation using them but your mileage may vary.

However if you succeed with the instalation, please tell us about it.
And don't hesitate to ask questions because we're all learnig this way.

Happy hacking!
--
Marek Buras
cyfr0n (at) onet.pl