Re: [gNewSense-users] Status of Silicon Motion acceleration on Yeeloong

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Status of Silicon Motion acceleration on Yeeloong 2F
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 20:20:28 +0100

YAMAMOTO Kentaro wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to ask if, with default installation, gNewSense 3 provides
> acceleration with Silicon Motion GPU on Yeeloong 2F?  If not, does it
> help to install a custom-built package from elsewhere?  What about
> other recent distributions?

I haven't yet put effort in patches for Silicon Motion because I heard
that the available patches don't provide any earth shaking improvements.
We do have a bug report for it [1].

> I have metad installed on my 8089.  I've also installed custom-built
> xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion driver from somewhere according to an
> old instruction which was available on gns wiki around 2009 (it has
> long been erased).  With them, I have
>
> * Faster 2d graphics than framebuffer
> * Xv extension
> * External video output on VGA (mirroring)
> * Changing resolution on VGA and embedded LCD panel
>
> working.  I'm considering upgrading to newer distributions if they
> support (some of) these.

Those are worthwhile features (depending on how hard it is to integrate
the patches). Please add them to the bug report so that it shows why we
want this. Also point to any source code patches if you know where they
are.

[1] https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?28594