[gNewSense-users] Very Slow Boot

From: t s
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Very Slow Boot
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 19:29:38 +0100 (BST)

Hi, Can anyone help?

Problem
=================
I have just installed Debian Squeeze with the Libre Linux kernel on my Yeeloong
8089_B 8.9", but it takes 2 hours to boot.

I used the instructions here: debian.org/DebianYeeloong/HowTo/Install.

How I installed
=================
I booted from USB and started the installer. During the install I used "guided
partition". Then I deleted the primary partition / which was 350MB and split it
in two parts: 50MB primary partition for mounting /boot, and 300MB extended
partition for mounting / (root).

When I installed the kernel I did an apt-cache search and installed
linux-image-2.6.32.90-libre-lemote.
After that I ran "apt-get update --fix-missing". At this point I saw there was
a newer kernel so I installed linux-image-3.0.4-libre-lemote.

Later, the instructions advised me to install GRUB. So I did that. Now my start
up menu has three options:

1 Boot with GRUB (grub.elf)
2 Debian GNU with 2.6.38-libre-lemote
3 Debian GNU with 2.6.38-libre-lemote single

Booting
Numbers 2 and 3 do not run. There is an error:
grub "error: you need to load linux first"

Number 1 takes two hours to start! When it does load I see the Linux Libre logo
(Freedo penguin having a wash) and then it loads really quickly.

Can anyone help?