Re: [gNewSense-users] [OT] Steps to create a mailbox

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [OT] Steps to create a mailbox
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 19:23:51 +0200

> (I want to read and send mail via Emacs' rmail.)

I don't know how rmail handles it, I use Dovecot as IMAP server and Gnus
(or Thunderbird) as client.

> I found this guide. [1] Could you comment on it?

Looks ok.  I don't use system accounts for mail, with LMTP delivery to
Dovecot and its virtual users instead (Dovecot also provides
authentication).

> 1. For example, I placed gnewsense.org in the "System mail name."
> What should I place in "Other destinations for mail"? Should it
> contain my MX record (e.g. mx.gnewsense.org)? Is it really needed to
> place localhost there too?

It's not an error to not place it there, the default includes localhost.

> 2. This guide uses smtpd.conf, but I don't have such file. Should I
> create it myself?

I don't use Cyrus SASL, so I haven't used this file.

http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html might also help.