Re: [gNewSense-users] Problem with software updates

From: Christophe Jarry
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Problem with software updates
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 19:12:20 +0100

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with software updates, when I want to check for
> updates Synaptic writes me this message :
>
> « Impossible de récupérer
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnuzilla-team/ppa/ubuntu/dists/hardy/Release
> Unable to find expected entry  universe/binary-i386/Packages in
> Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)
>
> Le téléchargement de quelques fichiers d'index a échoué, ils ont été
> ignorés, ou les anciens ont été utilisés à la place. »

For those who don't speak french, you should have translated the
message in french before posting. Here is my approximate translation:

  The download of some index files failed, those have been ignored or
  old ones have been used instead.

> What can I do to solve this ?

You may want to remove "Release" word from the url you gave to have
"http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnuzilla-team/ppa/ubuntu/dists/hardy/";
instead of
"http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnuzilla-team/ppa/ubuntu/dists/hardy/Release";.
So, open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and type
(lines beginning with "#" don't need to be typed):

  # Copy your current sources.list into sources.list.orig:
  sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list{,.orig}

  # Here you edit your repos:
  sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

  # remove "Release", save and quit.
  # Then update installable programs' cache:
  sudo apt-get update

Tell us if it works,

Christophe