Re: [gNewSense-users] questions about ntfs, w-lan and grub

From: Travis King
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] questions about ntfs, w-lan and grub
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 08:58:33 -0700

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 16:30:12 +0100
address@hidden wrote:

> Thanks for your nice offer, but i'll install a non-free driver. I
> don't wanna waste hardware even if it is non-free. When i buy new
> hardware, it will be 100% free of course.

That sounds sensible to me, just don't advertise that or ask for help
on it here. Debian GNU/Linux is a better fit for sacrificing some
freedom for having things work.

> @hardware stuff:
>  What i know about hardware: my big computer is black and my laptop
> is silver :-D

Well, you should probably try to learn some basics. I taught myself, so
I wouldn't be able to give you any advice on resources other than maybe
read up on CompTIA's A+ coursework/certification.

> @games:
> I played counter-strike, star craft and world of warcraft, but then i
> read the gnu philosophy articles and i stopped of course. Currently
> i'm not playing any computer games because of time and also because
> of nescience ... Do you know some nice, free games?

I consider games more art than software, but I still stick to F/LOSS
gaming - but I am willing to let go on the artwork(model, textures,
maps, images) if they are under a semi-permissive license. For example
War$ow, which is free software but has non-free artwork. However,
OpenArena is entirely Free in both code and art.

With consoles, you could consider them interactive entertainment
appliances. I use a modded PS2 with a library of RPGs to forget I live
in a shitty world. I also have nothing against emulating or running old
games in WINE(Balder's Gate was created by a company that no longer
exists).

Whether or not they are free software, they are part of our culture and
are information. I don't like ignoring(essentially destroying) culture
or information, I'd hope neither do you.

However here are some links:

http://freegamer.blogspot.com/
http://forum.freegamedev.net/
http://libregamewiki.org/
http://opengameart.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_source_games

I would also link to happypenguin.org but they've been down for a while:
http://www.happypenguin.org/

My favorites, which are all entirely Free:

OpenArena
Nexiuz/Xonotic
Tremulous
Warzone 2100
Battle for Wesnoth
TORCS/VDrift
Netrek(/!\ Old school looking graphics. /!\)

All these are pretty good for social gaming.

> Thank you very very much!

Yeah no problem bro.

--
end