Re: [gNewSense-users] emacs manual is missing

From: dajo
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] emacs manual is missing
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:54:03 -0700

Hi,

I am interested in this question because I am a long-time Emacs user,
and what you write sounds a little strange.

I logged in to gNewSense (2.3 as I recall) on my machine and ran Emacs,
which is version 22.1.  The Emacs manual appears to be accessible via
info,
although it is more hidden than usual because Ubuntu modified the info.
Try looking at line 65 of the top-level info menu, this should read
"Emacs  the extensible self-documenting editor" - if not, find that
entry.
Then press Enter which should take you to the top info page for the
Emacs
manual.  If this does not happen, then, indeed, something is wrong;
also
your version of gNewSense is different from mine.

Next.  Which "emacs manual" did you download?  Normally, the Emacs
manual is
part of the Emacs distribution and you get it whether you want it or
not.
So, to repeat the question, what is the name of the file that you
downloaded?

Next.  Assuming that you have a file with content intended to be be
installed
as info, proceed as follows.  In general, to uncompress a file of the
form
filename.tar.gz, where that file is in directory
/somewhere-on-your-machine/directory/ you should go to that directory
(strictly, this is not necessary, but it avoids some forms of
confusion) and
run command "tar -xzf ./filename.tar.gz".  The x means extract, the z
means
run gunzip (to handle the .gz suffix), and the f indicates that the
filename
follows.  You can use the flag -xzvf if you like instead of -xzf, the v
means
verbose and triggers a bunch of output.  You can read about tar in the
man
page, or via info.  If filename.tar.gz abides by generally accepted
conventions - which is highly likely with a fsf file - the tar command
will
create a directory /somewhere-on-your-machine/directory/filename/ with
all the
other stuff in it.  Find the README file and follow the instructions to
install
the filename package.

dajo