Re: [gNewSense-users] new install on Yeeloong, using LXDE

From: usonaulo-pete
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] new install on Yeeloong, using LXDE
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:09:54 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for all of the information!

I was able to install lxde-core from the lenny backport.  I learned new things
about aptitude and its options.  (But what does -t do?)

I would like to install a relatively lightweight login manager, but one that
has a package.  Your comments about slim and lxdm lead me to look at xdm.

Would that work OK with lxde?

---------------------------
Looking at the lxde/debian page:
XDM reads a file called .xsession in the user's home directory to determine
which window manager (resp. desktop environment) to start. As it is usually not
present on a fresh Debian installation, we have to create it and put LXDE's
startup command there. As an example, this is a minimal working .xsession:

#!/bin/sh
exec startlxde
Will this work to get lxde starting from boot-up, so that an xdm login screen
into lxde appears?  Or would I need to create something in a /usr/xxx directory?

Thanks.

--pete