Re: [gNewSense-users] new install on Yeeloong, using LXDE

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] new install on Yeeloong, using LXDE
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 22:12:05 +0200

Il giorno mercoledì 28/07/2010 04:21:18 CEST
address@hidden ha scritto:

> Thanks for the comparison information of xfce and LXDE.

:-)

> I installed LXDE and I like it.  But I haven't had good luck with
> slim, so I'm using gdm right now.
>
> If I removed gdm and installed slim, what manual work would be
> necessary to get it to automatically start at boot-up, like gdm does
> now?  (not auto login, just start up LXDE?)
>
> On the LXDE Debian page, I see a mention of ~/xinitirc, but I didn't
> find that on my system.  I've seen other posts about Xsessions
> versus /.xinitrc, etc.
>
> I'd like to use slim, but I really don't want to muck up my X Windows
> setup.

*** about the slim release:

the slim package in the gNS3.0beta1 repos is 1.3.0-1
but there is a recent (July, 7) newer 1.3.2 release here:
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/slim/

there is no 1.3.2 slim package neither in the gNS3.0beta1 repos nor in
the debian lenny backports: so it should be compiled...

anyway, it seems (the slim documentation is poor) to me that there are
not too much diffs between the two relases... it is to you if you want
to try compiling the 1.3.2...

*** about automatically starting LXDM from a slim login

first, consider slim having bugs:
http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?group_id=2663

more, the session management with slim is experimental:
http://slim.berlios.de/manual.php -> §2.1

anyway slims works well to me with gNS3.0

to solve your issue you can see:
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Debian#SLIM
http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/slim/trunk/slim.conf
http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/slim/trunk/xinitrc.sample
having at the same time a look to the 'login_cmd' and 'sessions'
variables in your  /usr/etc/slim.conf  file

*** LXDE release

the lxde package in the gNS3.0beta1 repos is 1.3.0-1 is 0.3.2.1,
but the newer (and better!) 0.5.0-2 is available from the debian lenny
backports

to update lxde, add to your /etc/apt/sources.list  file this row:

## debian lenny-backports
deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main

and then update/upgrade your system

*** LXDE installation

installing LDXE consider that:

- the 'lxsession' component has serious bugs (maybe related to your
  issues) and should be replaced with the 'lxsession-lite' component
  see: http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXSession

- a cleaner LXDE installation may result installing without the
  reccommended deps (for 0.5.0-2 are: gdm | x-display-manager, hal,
  iceweasel | www-browser, lxmusic)

  to install without reccommended deps:
  sudo aptitude --without-recommends install lxde

- a more cleaner and "customized" installation may resul installing
  firstly just the lxde-core package (again without recommends) and
  later the only lxde components you really need
  see: http://lxde.org/lxde (section: Components) for a detailed list

*** the LXDM login manager

LXDM is a new login manager for LXDE
see:
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXDM
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Gtkrc
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Greeter.ui

it is under development but seems to be usable and pretty good
(but i do not have yet tested it...)

if you will try LXDM, please let me know about it

Hope it will help

Regards
al3xu5 / dotcommon

--