Re: [gNewSense-users] Stop iwl3945 driver

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Stop iwl3945 driver
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:37:04 -0800 (PST)

address@hidden wrote ..
> Hi i have buy a usb wi-fi card that use the rt73usb driver for work, this
> is the d-link dwl-g122 c1 3.10. Now i try to load this driver with
> modprobe rt73usb but before i can do this i must stop the driver used by
> the internal wi-fi card of the laptop. The driver used is the iwl3945, i
> have insert it in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist but when i check sudo modprobe
> -l | grep wireless the driver is however loaded.
>
> How i can stop this driver?

sudo modprobe -l | grep wireless also show it present on my system and I don't
even have a compatible card, I don't think it's necessary to stop it since it
appears to be there whether it's needed or not.

If yo're having trouble getting your USB WiFi card to work, I think that I may
have found the answer: It appears that rt73usb uses non-free software and has
been de-blobbed:

RT73USB - Ralink rt2501/rt73 (USB) support
drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt73usb.h: removed blobs
drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt73usb.c: removed blobs

And here's the license for rt73:
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Firmware_license