Re: [gNewSense-users] Best way to clear out Gnome

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Best way to clear out Gnome
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 22:17:51 +0100

Il giorno giovedì 21/01/2010 08:54:50 CET
Karl Goetz <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:52:57 -0400
> Freemor <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > This brings up a question for gNS 3.0 will there be an option to
> > choose the default desktop during the install? Could this option be
> > added without it being a gigantic pain in the arse? No worries in
> > not I'll just install to gnewsense-standard and then build in the
> > environment I want. Just thought the above would be nice for the
> > less technically inclined.
>
> Hopefull there will be a minimal option somewhere, but probably not a
> list of desktops.

karl,
gNS developers,

please, can you explain what do you mean saying:
"there will be a minimal option somewhere"?

there will be a text-only installation process?

there will be also a text-only installation mode (to obtain, after the
installation steps, a text-only system *without* any desktop enviroment
installed on)?

i hope both the above!!!
let me *highly reccomend* this!!!

a lot of people (expecially guys doing trashware [1] all around the
world) *need* both this features, so they would be able to install
gNS on old and/or non-powerful computers, eventually adding a light
desktop environment only *after* the installation

also, i suggest the gNS3 installer would let users to choose almost
another (light) desktop rather than gnome (fluxbox should be nice)...

i think all these features would be very important from a social point
of view (digital divide, recycling etc.) and might help to spread gNS
(thrashware is popular...) and free software

regards

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trashware
Trashware is computer equipment assembled from old hardware, using
parts from different computers, for use by disadvantaged people to
bridge the digital divide. Trashware, with its social aims, is
different from retrocomputing, which has only cultural and recreational
purposes.

al3xu5 / dotcommon

--
Support free software! Join FSF: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7535