Re: [gNewSense-users] Software with GPLv3+

From: Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Software with GPLv3+
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 22:53:32 +0000

eX_Shadow wrote:
Hello, I am aware of 2 web browser and 1 mail client under GPLv3 +, I
think it is important to promote these programs, they are dillo.org
uzbl.org and claws-mail.org.

Why don't replace Epiphany with Dillo? Evolution with Claws-Mail?
I speak of the software installed by default.

It is important promote the GPLv3+

Hi,

You have to consider ever step away from the original material is a change that has to be managed.

With enough changes to manage you forget about your core goal that of having a free operating system, and end up managing changes.

(Usually changes are not trivial, you are dealing with a complex interdependent set of software.)

That does not discount your request.
If you have the skills to package them go for it.
It may be a moot point in the future, so perhaps there are other things that need to be done first.

Check what might break if you remove Epiphany from the core o/s.

There are a lot of things going on, moving to a different upstream.
Supporting MIPSEL and x86.

Help by being practical, if someone else does not act on your request, why don't you. ;-)

Regards,
Paul O'Malley