Re: [gNewSense-users] Uninstallling Epiphany .

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Uninstallling Epiphany .
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:27:55 +0100

R.Siddharth schreef:
I installed icecat as I am really comfortable ( I was using Firefox
before I switched to gNewSense) with it . Epiphany has now become
extraneous and I want to uninstall it .  I did indeed tried uninstalling
Epiphany using the terminal and this was what that had happend :
$ sudo apt-get remove epiphany-*
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The following packages will be removed : epiphany-browser , epiphany-browser-data , epiphany-extensions , epiphany-gecko , gnewsense-desktop . .
.
.
.
what pricks me is the 'gnewsense-desktop' that is included in the list
of packages that are going to be removed . what is this
'gnewsense-desktop'? . I never wanted to uninstall 'gnewsense-desktop'
but only Epiphany .

gnewsense-desktop is a meta-package for the purpose of making sure you have a complete default system. Its dependencies are the applications that are installed by default. Because Epiphany is the default browser in gNewSense it also depends on that. So if gnewsense-desktop is installed then epiphany-browser must be installed as well.

While the gnewsense-desktop package itself is empty, its dependencies make sure that you get proper updates. E.g. when Tomboy was replaced by Gnote as the default application for notes the dependencies of gnewsense-desktop were also changed so that everybody got Gnote with their next update. In theory a similar mechanism can also be used to make sure some non-free package is removed or replaced if a new one were found, but so far we've dealt with that in other ways. But, as the package description says, it is recommended that it not be removed.

If you just want Epiphany out of the menu you can use the menu editor for that. If you want to set IceCat as the default browser, change the web browser in the preferred applications settings to Custom and change epiphany to icecat in the textbox.