Re: [gNewSense-users] unclear licence of AMSLatex (fwd)

From: Benedikt Ahrens
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] unclear licence of AMSLatex (fwd)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:28:54 +0200

Completely right, you would have to modify the source code of each single
document.
You can compare it to C header files, I think.

For the soft links I don't know. The license doesn't say that another file may
not have the same name as this file.
Anyway, this would not be a very easy-to-use solution.

Let's see the critical part again (excerpt from the license proposal):
"Modifications, and distribution of modified versions, are permitted, but only
if the resulting file is renamed."

In my opinion, telling the user how he should name the modified file on his
machine is way too restictive. Perhaps we could have it changed to:
"Modifications, and distribution of modified versions, are permitted. Modified
files must be distributed with a file name that is different from that of the
original file distributed by the AMS"
(sorry, this is bad english)

This assures that only the AMS files are distributed as being from AMS and
would also answer Karl's question about derivations of derivations.

Greetings
ben