Re: [gNewSense-users] firmware development Fwd: convocatoria (pagada) a

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] firmware development Fwd: convocatoria (pagada) a desarrollo
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 08:19:50 -0700

Dear coleagues.

As you might know, I use only libre software. If I would use semi- libre software I wouldn't have noticed the following. The wireless network card of most widespread use in Quito, Ecuador, South America is

DLink DWL g 520 - RT61 Wireless LAN PCI Card

It can be installed with kernel linux but its firmware is non-libre. I need that firmware to be developed as soon as possible and would like those whom feel capable of doing it (reverse engineering) post their quote for development. We consider paying different people (if that is possible) for different parts of the work.

I would also ask to those whom would like to chip in for the payment of the development put some money in, express so and with how much money you would like to contribute for the payment of such development. If nobody destinates a budget, I will asume on my own the cost entirely but I asume that a small contribution starting from $1 will be possible for many people.

Have you contacted the folks at linuxwireless.org? Based on [1] it appears that they would be willing to work with DLink (assuming that DLink would be willing to work with them.) Even if not, perhaps you might find an interested developer (or two or three) willing to take it on?

[1] http://linuxwireless.org/en/vendors/DriverDevelopment