Re: [gNewSense-users] Tomboy/Netbeans/jdk

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Tomboy/Netbeans/jdk
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 20:28:25 +0200

Il giorno sabato 05/09/2009 19:40:41 CEST
"R.Siddharth" <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> Hi everyone ,
> I am planning to make a switch from ubuntu Jaunty to gNewSense 2.2 .
> There are few things that I want to know before I erase my existing
> OS(s) , Does gNewSense allow Tomboy to be used ?  . Though Tomboy is
> under the Gnome project , I have my doubts since it is written in C#
> and uses Novell's Mono Rune time Environment  which of late got into
> some trouble .

If I am not wrong, Tomboy comes with gNS...
Recently rms has suggested avioiding mono and, also If I am not wrong, I
remember a discussion about the mono issues here, so maybe Tomboy will
be romoved in next gNS releases...

Anyway, I have uninstalled Tomboy and replaced it with gnote.

> I am also learning  Java and I use Netbeans IDE and
> open-jdk for writing programs , is Netbeans and open-jdk accepted in
> the gNewSense community  , If no ,  I would like to be made aware of a
> alternative  for the IDE and the jdk (java).

Both are available in the gNS repositories.

Finally let me suggest you using GNU Icecat (a free version of Mozilla
Firefox)! Here some tips and tricks to improve GNU Icecat:
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Documentation/IceCat

Regards

al3xu5 / dotcommon

--