Re: [gNewSense-users] libre people

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] libre people
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 12:23:34 +0930

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 01:22:22 +0200
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Graziano Sorbaioli schreef:
> > During a conversation on #gnewsense, lots of people did not like the
> > "gnewsense marketing" name.
> >
> > Someone proposed gnewsense advocacy, I think that we could use
> > "libre people". It recalls the LibrePlanet.org project that aims to
> > do advocacy for free software in general so I think it should fit.
> >
> > What do you think about it?
>
> Some more suggestions and comments were made on #gnewsense:
>
> gNewSense Awareness Team: the acronym is the word "ass" in Dutch. It
> may be less problematic in other languages. :)

Hm... is that as in "he saddled his ass for the journey" or "he sat
on his ass all day"? ;) (Yes, I do think of an ass as a donkey by
default).

> gNewSense Awareness Project: this one implies that it would be a
> finite effort. Depending on your viewpoint that could imply that we
> expect success (world domination?) at some point in the future or
> that we'll just stop bothering when we've had enough of it. I suspect
> most people will see it the former way :).

I don't see the inbuilt expiry myself.

> It has the advantages of:
> - a catchy acronym: GAP
> - a good tagline: "aiming to fill the gap in free software awareness"
> (or something like it)
> - a pun: the more people join the GAP, the more we fill the gap (or
> more contradictory: we are the (GAP|gap))

grin. I like that.

> The GAP Initiative (GAP = gNewSense Aware(ness) People): this is not
> as nice and short as the previous one. However, it has a hint of
> excitement to it, because it sounds kind of secret intelligence/James
> Bond-like. But maybe that's just me. Not sure if that's what we're
> aiming for.

I prefer the first suggestion (or something in that vein), because it
doesn't next acronyms.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)