[gNewSense-users] Re: Webapps infrastructure

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: Webapps infrastructure
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 00:45:31 -0400

Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> Karl Goetz schreef:
>> I'm putting out this call to ask for thoughts on what people would like
>> to see replacing our current infrastructure. Any ideas are welcome, but
>> appreciate there's a number of factors involved when things are
>> discussed.
>
> I'd like to point out that Launchpad should be free in a few months. I
> think that would get us the following:
>
> Advantages:
> - Gratis server space and management (at least for some stuff)

IMHO it would be best to not use *any* canonical services for an
instance gNewSense would run (with the exception of equal peer
federation type services if those are offered), as that would then
allows the gNewSense project to do a kind of informal "Freedom
Verification" on the code.

> Disadvantages:
> - We wouldn't have all our data on our own server

I'm missing why this would have to be the case.

> - Will it be free enough (ref. Franklin Street statement and such)?

It's in theory going to be AGPLv3; and there would be nothing stopping
us from making it more free w.r.t. things AGPLv3 doesn't address
specifically, such as data availability.

> - There doesn't seem to be a tool to migrate from Pmwiki

I think that'll be the case for pretty much anything; someone will need
to hack on migration scripts for at least parts of any migration most
likely.

--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny