Re: [gNewSense-users] help with an article about gNS

From: Benedikt Ahrens
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] help with an article about gNS
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:56:01 +0100

Thanks a lot for your reply.
The information i am looking for should be very precise, for example:

kernel module "tg3", excerpt from source code (obtainable at
http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/driver-sla.php?driver=570x-Linux):

/*
 * tg3.c: Broadcom Tigon3 ethernet driver.
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 David S. Miller (address@hidden)
 * Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003 Jeff Garzik (address@hidden)
 * Copyright (C) 2004 Sun Microsystems Inc.
 * Copyright (C) 2005-2007 Broadcom Corporation.
 *
 * Firmware is:
 *      Derived from proprietary unpublished source code,
 *      Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Broadcom Corporation.
 *
 *      Permission is hereby granted for the distribution of this firmware
 *      data in hexadecimal or equivalent format, provided this copyright
 *      notice is accompanying it.
 */

This shows clearly that the firmware is non-free. Everybody can check
it for him/herself now.
I would like to have many of these examples for the article.

Greetings
ben