Re: [gNewSense-users] live cd

From: Bubba cakes
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] live cd
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 13:00:20 -0500

Hi, Matt!

Thank you thank you thank you!

the cd loaded in like 5 minutes. it was awesome!  Windows XP is GONE GONE GONE!!!
gNewSense works better and has way more features than ubuntu has.  I've already designed a business card in OpenOfficeWriter, and set up my budget in OpenOfficeSpreadsheet.  I can't watch DVD's anymore and can't find the help file.  the program tells me to get online, but I can't do that yet.  I was going to do it now, as I've just arrived at the library, but I left my memory stick on the table.  I forgot my memory stick.  That sounds funny.  Forgot my memory, haha.  oh well. I'll bring it tomorrow.

I've been reading Richard Stallman's essays, started with the first one.  He's got a lot of information and brains, doesn't he? Not to mention a conscience!  Reading his first essay got me to thinking about the USA's "path", and I realized that it's not just computer companies that are restricting our freedom.  The companies in the military-industrial complex are dictating to our puppet government how to restrict the freedoms not only in our country, but across the whole globe!  I don't want to bomb Iraq and Iran to keep the oil flowing!  And I don't want to be a consumer!  I want to have a big party with my neighbors!  I am so disconnected from everyone in this country, and I blame the corporations who want us to stay in front of the tv, the computer, the entertainment center, and go shopping.

Rant!

The most satisfying thing about gNewSense so far, for me, is that when I click on a command, the computer executes it.  Under Windows, I had to wait to see if the OS could work me into its busy schedule.  It was ALWAYS doing something, and I think it considered me somewhat of a nuisance.  I am SO glad it is gone.  My windows days are over!  woohoo!

I'm looking forward to reading all of Stallman's essays.  It feels like I'm getting an education, not in computers, but in society.

And finally, reading the emails that you and others write on this list is a hoot.  I have NO IDEA what the hell you're talking about!  haha...  but the programs you have built are great!  And so many functions!!!  And so neat, sparse, organized, functional, and even attractive!  I love how BIG my workspace is!  And everything is so easy to get to.  Kudos to you, Matt, and all your buddies, for your contributions!  As a builder myself, in houses/remodeling, I know how fun it is to figure shit out, to draw blueprints, and then to make the thing.  So we are very much alike in that regard.  Creation is great fun, especially when everyone can use it.

Patrick

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Matthew Flaschen <address@hidden> wrote:
Bubba cakes wrote:
> wow.  i got the cd.  thank you Matt!  i will install it when i get home from
> the library, and let you know how it works out for me.

Great!  Tell me how it goes, and email me or post to the list if you
need any help.

Matt Flaschen