Re: [gNewSense-users] Copyright, but no license: Free or not?

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Copyright, but no license: Free or not?
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 13:21:42 +0100

Matthew J. Fisher wrote:
I've come across a few files in the kernel which have copyright
statements, but no license. Would these be considered free or unfree?
The copyright statements don't actually say that any rights are
reserved. They simply list the authors and copyright dates.

http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel.Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--arch--x86--ia32--fpu32-c
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel.Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--arch--x86--ia32--ia32-aout-c
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel.Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--arch--x86--ia32--ia32entry-S
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--arch--x86--ia32--ptrace32-c
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel.Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--arch--x86--ia32--syscall32-c
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel.Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--arch--x86--ia32--sys-ia32-c

Thanks.

What Ali said. Also, see the KFV flow chart [1]. If something is not clear, please ask or tell us. We like our documentation to be correct and accessible.

About reserved rights: while doing freedom verification I learned that the statement "All rights reserved" in a copyright statement doesn't mean anything. It used to be required to make explicit that you want all rights granted to you by copyright. Nowadays you can just ignore the seeming contradiction between "All rights reserved" and at the same time "unreserving" some of those rights with a copyleft license.

Do you know about PFV mode for Emacs [2]? Using it is not a requirement, but I found that once you get the hang of it (I'm not really an Emacs user myself) it can significantly speed up the work.

Welcome to the team!

[1] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/DocumentingYourWork
[2] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Kfv-script