Re: [gNewSense-users] Burned by Add / Remove with delta-h. Sources hosed

From: Eric Padman
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Burned by Add / Remove with delta-h. Sources hosed now.
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 03:21:42 +1200

2008/9/16 Brian Greer <address@hidden>

> Wow, Add / Remove allowed me to install Opera from a third-party repo with
> the latest Delta-H I. *knew* I shouldn't have gone there. :(
>
> It all started when I tried to go into System > Software Sources to look over
> things, and the window just pops up briefly and then just disappears.
>
> Curiosity got the best of me, so I thought I'd play with Add / Remove.  Bad
> idea - especially when enabling 3rd-part applications.
>
> I just bombed out of the EULA for Opera, and removed it with Synaptic. (I
> didn't want Zimbra, DB2, etc) However:
>
> I checked my /etc/apt/sources.list file and all seems ok.  Performed an
> apt-get update just to make sure.  ...cry....
>
> Even though there aren't any repos listed for third parties, I still get hits
> on the Ubuntu Hardy Release repo, and also the Hardy / Partner Packages repo
> when apt-get update is doing it's thing.
>
> And what started this whole thing is that my System > Administration >
> Software Sources just flashes and goes away, so I can't try to fix it there.
>
> I saw some bug reports about this earlier, so i guess I'll have to go in and
> manually delete some repo files/configs that live elsewhere.  Talk about
> putting one's hand in the fire.  Whaaaaahhhh.  :)

I can confirm this. After following what Brian had done I found
hardy-partner.list from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/. The source for
app-install-data-commercial contains hardy-partner.list (an entry for
Ubuntu's partner directory), and icons and .desktop files for Opera,
Zimbra, Parallels and DB2.

In Add/Remove Programs if "Show All Available Applications" is
selected the entry for Opera etc. still remains although I've removed
app-install-data-commercial and done apt-get clean and apt-get update.
Checking the box for Opera now hangs Add/Remove programs. The
"Software Sources" app crashes as well with no error messages when
running it from a terminal (apart from from a Python warning about the
apt API not being stable).

This appears to be different than the other bugs on the wiki as far as
I can see. Does anyone else agree and is it a valid bug? If so, Brian
would you like to file a bug or shall I?

Cheers,
Eric (MentalNotes)