Re: [gNewSense-users] Debian kernel cleanup

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Debian kernel cleanup
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 06:53:50 +0200

Yavor Doganov wrote:
As some of you may know, Robert Millan started to report bugs about
the non-free bits in Debian's kernel that is going to be shipped in
Lenny.  It would be great if the KFV people could recheck them to see
if something is missed in gNewSense's kernel.

This link should work provided that no bug is downgraded (some were
closed already):

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=src&data=linux-2.6&archive=no&version=&dist=unstable&sev-inc=serious

I've looked into this and everything's in our deblob script.

The state of the wiki for those files was not so good. Some of the files were not recognized as non-free. Some were, but weren't reported as a bug (possibly because they were found to be already in the deblob script). The last edit for most of them was from 0% free, not reported to 100% free, N/A, which makes it look like the kernel is more free than it actually is. I wonder what the reasoning was behind this, because the edit comments don't provide any insight.

Anyway, I've fixed all this in the wiki. But it shows that there are/were some problems with the freedom verification process.

Regards,

Samgee