Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: VLC is non free?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: VLC is non free?
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 10:25:10 +0930

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 20:43 -0400, Dara Adib wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> wrote:
> > It makes no sense to be a branch-of-the-branch of a branch of Debian
> > that mainly exists to add non-free software and some dubious
> > "user-friendly enhancements" that should go in upstream projects in
> > the first place.  It is more non-free stuff to clean/remove, needless
> > to mention the truckload of Ubuntu-specific bugs and of course the
> > huge regression with their Launchpad-b0rked translations.  And the
> > lack of upgrades between stable releases, which basically makes the
> > distro unsuitable for serious use.
>
> I disagree.
>
> While it is true that Ubuntu does add "user-friendly enhancements"
> that should go in upstream projects, it is also true that these create

Then again, most of that nonsense i'd prefer stayed out of upstreams
(unfortunately its well and truly there - avahi/mDNS in general etc).

> an experience which Debian is not as successful at. Debian is more
> successful at packaging up-to-date packages in sid, but not as great
> as Ubuntu when it comes to creating a coherent system (Ubuntu is far

I cant agree - I think Debian produces a more coherant *overall system*
then Ubuntu does. Ubuntu may produce a more coherant *Desktop*.

> After removing restricted and multiverse packages, Ubuntu is not much
> different from Debian in terms of "freeness".

There are several key things, like the BTS being proprietary ...

> On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> wrote:
> > If you install a stable release of a distro, you ought to be able to
> > upgrade easily and flawlessly to the next stable release (e.g. from
> > gNewSense DeltaD -> DeltaH).  Reinstalling from scratch is just not an
> > option.
>
> You can upgrade from release to release with Ubuntu (though it is not
> possible to skip releases when upgrading, unless you are upgrading
> from an LTS release to the next LTS release). Though the upgrade takes
> much longer than a clean install, I have upgraded Ubuntu several times
> (7.04 -> 7.10 -> 8.04), everytime without issues after the upgrade is
> finished.

I think he was talking about gNS, which *doesnt* offically suport
upgrades between systems.
kk

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor