Re: [gNewSense-users] VLC is non free?

From: Benjamin Webb
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] VLC is non free?
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:37:37 +0100

2008/8/4 Ivan Ivanov <address@hidden>:
> Hi!
>
> I needed to download vlc today, and I have seen, that vlc is in the
> multiverse repository of Ubuntu. But VLC is under GPL2 or layter, so
> the software itself has no licenses problems.
>
> Probably is that some kind of software patent issue? If so, than I have
> no problem with it, because software patents aren't valid in Europe.
>
> Can someone explain me, am I right?
>
> Thanks!

Yes, it's patent issues. I've had the same problem as you, so I
created my own repo with the free stuff from multiverse. It's called
multistanza - http://freedomdreams.co.uk/wiki/Multistanza . I would be
interested as to what people on the gnewsense team think of this idea.

Once again I forget to hit reply to all.... gmail is so freedomhating :(

--
Ben Webb - http://www.freedomdreams.co.uk/blog
Freedom Socks Podcast - http://socks.freedomdreams.co.uk/