[gNewSense-users] Re: [bug #12123] EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL messes up license a

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: [bug #12123] EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL messes up license autodetection
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 01:40:25 -0400

Sam has reported a bug in kfv.el (http://gna.org/bugs/?12123)
involving the EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL macro.

As he notes, the correct interpretation of the macro is only that the
source file that contains it can only be linked with GPL-compatible
code, but this tells us nothing about the *license* of the source file
itself.

kfv.el currently uses this macro to try to guess the license of a
file, but now that its guess ("GPL") has been found to be not
necessarily true, the macro is now useless for kfv.el.  Unless anyone
can think of some use of if for the KFV process, I will adjust the
code to simply ignore the macro.  (Of course, incompatibilities might
be found using the macro, but I cannot see that feature mattering much
for us in the short run.  There are likely higher priorities.)

As always, the fixed version (along with several past fixes since the
0.8 release) of kfv.el will be available at its SVN repo listed at:

https://gna.org/svn/?group=pfv-mode