Re: [gNewSense-users] ubuntu/media/gspcav1 full of hex tables

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] ubuntu/media/gspcav1 full of hex tables
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:58:46 -0400

> I have contacted the copyright holders for
> ubuntu/media/gspcav1/Vimicro/cs2102.h. I have received the following:
> "These values are reverse engineered the usb protocole between the
> webcam and a windoze box."
>
> I don't think it make sense to try to contact the authors of every file.
> cs2102.h seems to be one of the most hex-intensive files, so if it is
> reverse-engineered, I think that similar files probably are as well. I
> am inclined to mark these as free.

While I have not had a chance to look at those files, if you are
confident that the other (hex or otherwise) data is similar in nature
and purpose to the RE'd protocol data, then I would say go ahead and
mark them as free.  Such data is a particularly interesting
(considering the work that goes into it) feature of some drivers, and
it's great that you have given it careful scrutiny.

Of course, names of associated constants, variables, and functions
*might* be quite revealing about whether something is a blob.